THE STORY OF THIS DREAM TRIP

This blog is a reprint of my internet journal from 2001 to 2002 in which I documented my "vagabond" solo journey in a Chevy Conversion Van tracing my roots. I not only traced their paths and found their homes and final resting places, but I did extensive genealogical research in court houses, libraries, historical societies, genealogical societies, cemeteries, and talked to the local people. I traveled with a laptop to upload my notes and photos, and use e-mail. It was a fantastic journey which lasted two years. I had no other home except my van to sleep in...just a bed and video player. My household goods were put into storage for two years. My mail was delivered to me at general delivery when I phoned "MailBox, etc." and told them where to send it. At night I stayed in campgrounds, motels, friends' backyards, friends' homes, and those of the few living relations I've tracked down. As I traveled I collected so much genealogy information, that I had to get rid of items that I had originally thought essential to my travels (like a microwave oven). Between ancestral sites, I visited any tourist sites I could find and got to know alot about the USA. This was a trip of a lifetime and I'm still sorting through all the wonderful memories, photos and invaluable genealogical data I found. I will post to this blog as I can - one or a few days at a time of that journey from 2001 to 2002

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

19 May 2001 - Saturday - Annapolis, Maryland


     Today I went to Annapolis, Maryland with Bev.  I haven't had a chance to practiced using my GPS, so I was trying to figure it out while Bev drove.  Annapolis was nice, but I expected that it would be easy to find the US Naval Academy.  I had fond memories of watching "Men of Annapolis" on television in the 1950's.  Well we were driving around and finally I was able to use the GPS to navigate to the Academy. Success!  It wasn't far, but we just didn't happen to get on the right streets. What  a very nice campus. We walked around town and did some people watching too.  The midshipmen were walking by as Bev and I sat at an outdoor cafe by the water. Their must have been a special function because the cadets were in full uniforms and had dates wearing formal dresses.  I didn't realize Annapolis was also a historic and quaint town - and the capitol of Maryland.   The State House is pictured on one of the new quarter coins.    It was an enjoyable day, and I was happy to have visited this famous town.  Back to Silver Springs for the night, then I leave to West Virginia tomorrow then on to check out where my ancestors traveled in the Shenandoah Valley.  Below are some photos from Annapolis.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add a comment, I look forward to hearing from any readers.